11.11.2010

久しぶり。


Confession: settling in a foreign country is a tad too time intensive to maintain a blog with any regularity. So, from this moment forth, no promises, 'kay?

Right.

Yes, it's true. I made it to my new home in Tsukuba, and things have been peachy. My six-day work week keeps me busy, but I've had plenty of time to get a few enjoyable experiences under my belt. Consider this entry my "greatest hits" of life in Japan (so far).

Within the first month, I had already accomplished my long-time dream of attending the Tokyo Game Show. It was hot. It was crowded. It was everything I wanted it to be. Very little planning (and a meager 1000 yen admission fee) went into this excursion. Therefore, navigating the various show rooms, each larger than a pro soccer field, reaped only a few games played and even less swag than could've been had with an ounce of foresight. Even so, it was wonderful. Engaged from all sides by larger-than-life LED screens breathing the hot breath of fresh new media was almost too much to handle. There's nothing quite like standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the smelliest otaku in the country to catch a glimpse of the newest offerings from Capcom, Square Enix, Namco Bandai, Level 5 - you name it (except for Nintendo, who is decidedly too cool for TGS). It may seem like a tall order for those of you who are sitting pretty over 6000 miles away, but I recommend TGS for all of the aforementioned reasons. Oh, by the way, the booth babes…shockingly unimpressive.

It's only fitting to follow a segment on an annual offering of geek elitism with a bit of the day-to-day awesomeness that this country offers, namely convenience stores. I honestly don't know how I could live without my "konbini" food. Onigiri, nikuman (and its magnificent variations), Calpis water, and royal milk tea are only a few of the magical things you can get from your local 7-Eleven, Lawson, FamilyMart, Ministop, Circle K Sunkus, or Coco!, whichever is within walking distance (and there will be one, guaranteed). Clean, accessible, and open 24/7, these places absolutely redefine convenience. Think of every complaint you've had about a western gas station/convenience store combo. Now take the gas station and every complaint out of the equation. Pretty sweet, right? You'll be hard-pressed to find a gas station that has a store. These businesses are so well-maintained and operated, they don't need the built-in revenue stream that comes with having a gas station attached to a filthy, overpriced quick mart. And for the record, Sunkus has the best pizaman. Don't argue.

Here's where I'd love to tell you how much joy recycle shops bring me, but until I have a firm grasp on the Japanese language, I think I'd be selling them short. Recycle shops sell, you guessed it, used goods. With a variety of recycle shops specializing in household items, clothing, furniture, electronics, video games, comic books, action figures, collectibles, movies, and music, there is nary a thing you can't find second-hand. While this sounds amazing (and it mostly is), recycle shops are so common that sometimes you really have to search for a great deal on something. You may find some awesome t-shirt for 1% of its retail value, but hop over couple of aisles, and you'll probably pay 4000 yen for a DVD that retails for 4500. Not a steal. As far as electronic media goes, you really have to dig for a bargain. For example, I haven't found a used copy of Metal Gear Solid 4 for less than $45 USD. Lame. On the other hand, my PS3 copy of Final Fantasy XIII only cost about $15 USD, but only because Square Enix severely overestimated their projected sales and printed approximately 150,000,000 copies for a country with a population of 127,000,000. Don't let the numbers fool you - that was a joke. The largest areas of these shops are typically occupied by manga, which is precisely why I can't fully appreciate the true greatness of these stores. Not that I don't love manga, I just can't read Japanese well enough to really enjoy it yet. Depending on rarity and condition, single volumes of a series will run anywhere from 50 to 1000 yen (and occasionally more). I don't know about you, but those prices look good to me. Two bucks for an issue of One Piece? Yes, please.

I had planned on more gushing over various other things, but I'm kind of hungry and a little sleepy. Also, if I want to have anything else to write about, I better not blow it all on this post. I'm going to mosey on up to my neighborhood 7-Eleven and grabs me a snack. Later.

5 comments:

  1. this all sounds really cool. the convenience stores and the recycle shops. if steven and i visit, we may not leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your living the dream man, as I've said before. This is something I have always wanted to do, and plan to do after college myself. It's so awesome to see you in photos like that in Japan doing all of that, a bit surreal. I've wanted to go to Japan like that since I was a kid so thats just very awesome :D. I hope everything is well, and hope your work place treats you well! I've heard horror stories o_o. But, I think the good outweighs the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good time besides working 6 days! You have to find Hard Gay somewhere in Japan....and get his signature. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments guys.

    Austin, apparently life was good for English teachers in Japan through the 80s and 90s (not that it's not for me). Eikaiwa were in high demand and just about anyone with a college degree would get hired upon application. Unfortunately, when the bubble bursted, a lot of teachers lost their jobs. Of the five largest eikaiwa companies (Berlitz, Aeon, GEOS, ECC, and Nova), Nova declared bankruptcy, Berlitz was overtaken by ECC, and Aeon and GEOS simply aren't making the money they once were. Fortunately, I work for a small local company that engages in smarter business practices than the huge companies that have disappeared.

    To combine replies, Mitch and Devin, I actually found a Hard Gay alarm clock at a recycle shop. Less than three bucks and I got to bring him home. Now, I wake up to Razor Ramon screaming at me to get out of bed. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete