7.06.2010

ANTICIPATING JAPANESE T.V.

Okay, I'm lame. I couldn't even wait a whole 24 hours to post another blog.

Of all the ancient wonders and cultural enlightenment I am sure to experience while in Japan, nary a one do I anticipate more than Japanese television. During my 2006 visit to Numazu, I discovered that in a country with more eclectic television than you can shake a stick at, the variety show was still king. I especially love the American celebrities who show up from time to time and act completely awkward. I was fortunate enough to watch Daniel Powter appear on SMAPxSMAP, a variety show hosted by members of boy band SMAP, a group that has been together since 1988. Like every musician who appears on SMAPxSMAP, Mr. Powter was subjected to the rank and file awkward interview, topped off by having to share the stage with SMAP to perform his single, "Bad Day." Just so you understand how bad this is, SMAP really can't sing at all. Americans should feel fortunate that their *NSYNCs and Backstreet Boys could actually form harmonies, cause these guys wouldn't know where to begin, even after 22 years.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any clips of Daniel Powter's SMAPxSMAP episode. BSB is another story - here's a video of them performing "Shape of my Heart" with SMAP way back in 2000.



See what I mean?

On the other hand, American celebs can do really awesome things with Japanese T.V. Here's one of a series of commercials that was airing while I was in Japan. They feature Tommy Lee Jones selling Boss Coffee, one of many brands of canned coffee sold in Japan.



Great stuff. The coffee's not bad either.

And just for kicks, here's "Weird Al" Yankovic on a variety show back in 1984. Note the brilliant prat fall Al takes at 1:25. The rest is pretty awkward.



In any case, when you bring western celebrities into eastern media, something funny is always bound to happen. I'm so happy I will be there to witness it firsthand.

2 comments:

  1. dude those tommy lee jones commercials are too funny. what about 5 RANGERS?!?! does that still come on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, there were only 13 "Gorenja" (5 Rangers) segments ever produced, the last of which aired in 2001. That stuff was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete